This vegan Mac and Cheese recipe is made with a cheesy cashew sauce and tastes remarkably authentic. Naturally dairy-free, this pasta is also gluten-free when you serve this sauce over gluten-free noodles or cooked vegetables.
NUT/SEED/DRIED FRUIT | Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Soy-free, Egg-free, Vegan
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 20 mins
Total Time 40 mins
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard (dijon or yellow)
- 16 ounces Elbow or shell pasta of choice (gluten-free, if needed)
- freshly ground black pepper
- paprika , for garnish
- Prepare the pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, combine the cashews, lemon juice, water, salt, nutritional yeast, chili powder, garlic, turmeric, cayenne (if using), and mustard in a high speed blender and blend until silky smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add 2-4 more tablespoons of water and blend again.
- Once the pasta is tender, drain and rinse it, then return the pasta to the pot and stir in the cheese sauce. Season to taste and serve warm!